UNDER EYE HOLLOWNESS TREATMENT IN DELHI
Eyes are the prominent facial feature that everyone notices when meeting a new person and play an important role in displaying body language. They reveal the age of the person and also their health status.
Under-eye hollowness medically termed as tear trough deformity or sunken eye hollows) is aging or lifestyle condition wherein the delicate, soft skin found between the lower eyelids and cheekbone appear dark and sunken. This is because of the skin and muscles of under eyes getting relaxed and becoming less tight. It is not considered a life-threatening condition, but if it worsens over time or is accompanied by other symptoms, then a timely visit to the doctor is important.
HOW DOES IT LOOK LIKE?
Under-eye hollowness can also be characterized as:
- Under-eye dark circles
- Shadowing effect over the lower eyelid
- Thinning of skin underneath the eyes
- Sunken upper cheeks
- A fatigued or tired appearance
WHAT CAUSES UNDER-EYE HOLLOWNESS OR TRIGGERS IT?
Mostly, under-eye hollows are an outcome of the natural aging process but some health and lifestyle issues could also result in hollowing underneath the eyes. Common causes or triggering factors include the following:
- Aging- As an individual grows older, the skin begins to lose its collagen, hydration, elasticity, and volume. When it occurs underneath the eyes, it results in the appearance of under-eye dark circles, tears troughs, or eye bags. Atrophy, due to the degeneration of cells of eye muscles can lead to sunken eyes.
- Nutrient deficiency– When there are low levels of Vitamin C and K as well as iron in the body.
- Dehydration- If the body is not kept well-hydrated because of reduced intake of drinking water, its serious side effect is sunken eyes. Mostly, it is present in children as compared to adults, but it can also ensue in severe cases.
- Lack of sleep- People who take inadequate or poor-quality sleep (i.e. have fatigue or exhaustion) are likely to experience more hollowness under the eyes.
- Weight fluctuations– Individuals consuming an imbalanced diet leading to either sudden weight gain or loss can have hollowness under the lower eyelids. This is because of the shifting of fatty deposits of the face that makes the eyes appear sunken.
- Family history– In some cases, under-eye hollowness seems to run in families as people have a genetic disposition to develop dark under-eye circles. Mostly it is found in individuals who have an Asian or African descent. There might be a blue-colored pigmentation under the eyes because of the appearance of blood veins under the thin skin. But, nowadays it is very common due to a sedentary lifestyle.
- Sun exposure– Frequent or prolonged exposure of the face to the sunlight without UV protection can lead to darkening of skin under the eyes.
- Allergies- Hay fever, allergic rhinitis, or seasonal allergies can lead to sunken eyes due to blocked nasal passages or inflamed tiny blood vessels underneath the eyes.
- Sinusitis- When there is nasal congestion, inflammation of sinuses, or pressure created under the eyes, it could cause under-eye hollowness.
- Trauma- An injury in the eye area like being punched hard on the eyes, can cause sunken eyes.
- Smoking- Excessive smoking of cigarettes can result in the degradation of the skin’s collagen and elastin. This further causes sagging skin of the face, thereby giving a hollowed under-eye effect.
- Enophthalmos- If people have only one sunken eye, it means they may have onset enophthalmos. This condition can be caused due to either of the following reasons-
– Loss of eye bone due to aging
– Injury to the eye bone
– HIV infection
– Orbital surgery
– Loss of facial fat
– Linear scleroderma (an inflammatory autoimmune condition)
– Metastatic breast cancer.
Taking help from an experienced dermatologist in Delhi at Rakshaa Skin Clinic can help to manage this condition and achieve a youthful-looking under-eye area.
HOW IS IT DIAGNOSED?
The doctor first reviews the medical history of the patient and carries out a visual inspection of the face to check out the concerns to be treated. The patient must tell the doctor about any associated physical or emotional symptoms they possess like itchy eyes, nasal congestion, weight loss, fatigue, or if the self-esteem is being affected leading to depression or anxiety. If required, laboratory tests may be done.
HOW TO FIX UNDER-EYE HOLLOWNESS?
If there is a temporary hollowness under the eyes due to medical conditions, then the best way to reverse it is by medications. This includes prescribed antibiotics for sinusitis and antihistamines or eye drops for allergies. For other causes or long-term under-eye hollowness that have made the face look old and tired, some minimally invasive procedures like dermal fillers and growth factors to manage the concern. These less invasive procedures are popular as they are safe, cost-effective, and offer great results.
Growth Factor Therapy for under-eye circles or bags:
In this treatment, the dermatologist makes use of the natural growth factors and essential proteins derived from the patient’s own blood. The procedure involves drawing the blood from the patient’s arm, its centrifugation to separate the blood components, and the use of only valuable growth factors as natural injectable substances under the eyes. Growth factor injection acts as the regenerative serum of the soft tissues under the eyes. It is performed to:
- Repair the weak collagen and elastin in the skin to make the skin look firmer and plump.
- Form entirely new blood vessels in the skin of the under-eye area so that fresh nutrients and oxygen enter the site to help achieve a radiant or healthy glowing skin appearance. The aim is to combat pigmentation problems due to abnormal melanin production.
- Clear eye puffiness that is caused by excess toxins and fluid retention.
This treatment has no side effects (only mild swelling and tenderness), no downtime and the injections only cause mild discomfort which is hardly felt if the skin is numbed by topical anesthesia before the procedure. The desired results can be achieved within a month as the skin healing process is complete. Although visible changes can be seen after the first session, sometimes more sittings may be needed with a spacing of 3-5 weeks to get the best possible outcome. The effect of these injectables usually is expected to be in between 6-12 months.
Dermal fillers for tear trough hollows or lower eyelid dark circles:
With age, the facial skin loses its collagen and becomes saggy and flat. Dermal fillers are injectable substances that can help restore the lost collagen and rejuvenate the under-eye zone. They can add volume to the skin when placed subcutaneously or supraperiosteally, and smoothen the tear trough deformity. This treatment also lightens dark circles, improves skin quality, and hydrates it from the inside. The most commonly used dermal filler for under-eye areas is hyaluronic acid-based. This filler makes the skin plump and smooth by supporting new collagen production which results in skin scaffolding.
The procedure involves the use of topical anesthetic to numb the tear trough area followed by injecting filler (a gel-like substance) which is molded into the desired shape by massage. It is a quick, virtually pain-free treatment that provides natural-looking, instant results. Although there are noticeable, subtle changes seen immediately after injections, but the outcome is visible after around 2 weeks as the filler ingredient settles. The desired results can last up to 12 months or longer. As it shows a temporary effect on the skin, it is an advantage as people who are not satisfied with the results can dissolve the fillers.
To know about under-eye rejuvenation and under-eye dark circle treatment cost in Delhi, consult the best anti-aging treatment doctors at Rakshaa Skin Clinic.
Lifestyle tips and home remedies to ease sunken eyes:
- Have a good quality sleep.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Have a balanced diet with more green leafy vegetables and plenty of vitamins.
- Maintain healthy body weight. This is possible by cutting down the carbohydrate and fat-rich food items.
- Avoid intake of excess caffeine and alcohol.
- Quit smoking.
- Use an eye cream with retinol to revitalize the skin (as prescribed by the doctor).
- Antioxidants and Vitamin C must be either consumed or topical creams containing it must be applied.
- Use a good quality moisturizer or sunscreen that is effective for the skin type of person.
- Use cold compresses daily at the end of the day if working more on electronic devices like smartphones and computers. This helps constrict the blood vessels around the eyes that get dilated due to excessive eye strain and exhaustion.
To get effective treatments to revitalize your under-eye area, visit Rakshaa Skin Clinic in Delhi.